Friday, September 21, 2007

Jane Goodall and other things


Jane Goodall holds Mr. H
Originally uploaded by IzzyNomad

I've been meaning to write an entry about seeing Jane Goodall speak for a while. I saw her last Saturday, for her talk "Gombe and beyond", and she was her usual amazing self. It was the second time that I saw her at Con Hall in Toronto, but no less inspiring -- I can't think of another word to describe her. Especially because her talk related so much to my Africa trip, I left very much wanting to DO stuff and get involved.

But this week was nerve-racking and I feel anything but inspired. I feel like I'm married to my tasks right now and I'm not giving any of them enough attention. I should be taking care of the Africa trip arrangements, doing all the paperwork for Steve to come to Canada, and applying for grad school. Instead I'm reacting like a metaphorical ostrich. Grad school is what I'm most worried about at the moment, because I only have a week left in Canada and I don't have a supervisor yet, which means I can't complete my application. The more I get into it the more I realize I shouldn't have left this for so late. I could have started this earlier and bought myself an extra couple of weeks. I don't know how much good that would have done, but in any case, I'm pressed for time now. I need more time, need more time.

In other news, I went back for my Hep B shot no. 2 this morning. It may be some sort of placebo effect, but I do feel quite confused right now. I also got the promised handout about zoonoses (because animals carry diseases and I should be very careful!), and for malaria a prescription for Lariam.

Lariam is such a stupid name. It's like naming a flu medication "Luf", or "Erpesh" for a herpes cream. The doc had to make sure that my mental health was ok first (um sure), since Lariam can make people go crazy, among other mental symptoms like nightmares.

That means I will, of course, have nightmares. About contracting monkeypox, or simian herpes. Thanks for that handout, doc!

And that's all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment