Sunday, November 18, 2007

Safari

Last weekend we went to Tsavo East National Park and stayed at a lodge overlooking a water hole. Loads of animals would just come by like elephants and lions and buffalo. We saw oodles of amazing birds, and ginormous beetles which I I.D.ed as giant dung beetles. I am in love with them, they are so beautiful and shiny and gigantic, and they have furry bellies which are nice and soft but probably covered in poo and mites but I liked picking them up anyway.

On safari we saw a million billion amazing animals like cheetahs and oryx. One of the guys must have a list of species somewhere, I may post them later. Then on the last day we drove slightly off the beaten path and saw a car all decayed and rusted up that was stuck on a muddy swampy bit forever. It was very picturesque, which is why I took a picture. As soon as the shutter clicked, our car got stuck in the mud. We tried everything including elephant dung for traction but were still stuck. After a while Gwili and Tori walked off to look for help, and Orit and Shiv and I stayed behind in the car.

I was sure we'd be there at least overnight and wished I knew more survival skills, and I was also hoping that Tori and Gwili wouldn't get killed by leopards or elephants. But then we were super lucky and a few hours later help came and we got out. Then some time later when we were already out of the park we got stuck in the mud again. And again very very luckily, this happened as a truckload of beefy gents was driving by, so we got immediate help and got out of the mud again.

It was all great fun, and giraffes are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment