Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Another book review

The Dharma Bums The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

rating: 2 of 5 stars

So this is what started the "backpack revolution". Great. Except it was less backpacking, more Buddhism preaching. The main character (Ray?) comes across as a patronizing nutcase with his combination of drunken bumhood, Christianity, and Buddhism.

So he is a buddhist - correction: he thinks he is Buddha - and he also thinks he is a "crazy saint". He believes he can perform miracles, namely cure his mother of allergies, but then decides he won't perform miracles anymore because that will make him vain. WTF? Because him avoiding his own vanity is more important than curing people? Just a tad self-obsessed, no? One of the many, many things that make him look like an arrogant ass.

He's like that super annoying kid you travel with who thinks he is wise and you can't wait to get rid of in the next town because you KNOW his facial expression is saying that he feels sorry for you, poor you, if only you knew that everything is empty and awake! He's like Holden Caulfield with a backpack turned born-again-Buddhist (there is no such thing but that's the best way to describe it!)

Also, I hate to judge religion, BUT (actually I lie, I love judging religion) I am well familiar with zen Buddhism and I think his version of Buddhism is less Buddhist and more junky postmodernist (i.e. full of shit).

The only reason I gave this book 2 stars instead of one was because of the amazing descriptions of climbing and camping on mountains, especially chapter 33. If I had read that chapter alone I would have thought that Kerouac is the most amazing writer in the world. The rest is tripe.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment